Saturday, 4 May 2013
Salted chocolate fondant
Salted caramel is all the rage at the moment but what about salted chocolate? Well after spotting some Lindor chocolate with sea salt crystals and a recipe for a fondant by Raymond Blanc I decided to give it a go and my word, was it worth it!
Makes three fondants
80g Lindor chocolate with sea salt crystals
80g unsalted butter plus 15g to butter moulds
45g icing sugar plus extra for dusting
2 medium eggs plus one egg yolk
45g caster sugar
45g cocoa powder
clotted cream to serve
1. Melt the chocolate and butter in a bowl set over simmering water, leave to cool.
2. Whisk the egg, egg yolk and icing sugar together in a bowl until pale and creamy, around 3 minutes, incorporate the melted chocolate mixture and slowly whisk in the arrowroot.
3. Butter three moulds then coat with caster sugar and finally cocoa power, dusting off the excess, fill with the chocolate mixture and refrigerate for 30mins.
4. Preheat the oven to 230C and bake the fondants for 7 minutes until a crust has formed on the top, remove from the oven, cool and chill for 30 minutes again.
5. Preheat the oven to 180C and bake the fondants for 8 minutes. Dust a plate (or slate) with icing sugar and add the fondant along with a scoop of clotted cream.