Thanks must go to Lisa and Martha at the Primrose Bakery in London for this one, quite possibly the best Lemon cake you will ever taste..
155g Self-raising flour, sifted
1 tsp Baking powder
155g Golden caster sugar
155g Unsalted butter softened, plus more for greasing
3 Large eggs
Grated zest and juice of a lemon
160g granulated sugar
Juice of two lemons
1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease a loaf tin with the extra butter and line with greaseproof paper (baking parchement).
2. Combine the sifted flour, baking powder, caster sugar and cornflour into a food processor and pulse until evenly mixed, no more than four seconds.
3. Add the butter,eggs, lemon zest and juice of one lemon and blend for around 10 seconds.
4. Pour the mixture into the lined tin's and level the top, bang the tin gently on the work surface to evenly distribute the mixture and knock out any air holes. Place in the oven for 35-40 minutes.
5. Place a skewer into the centre of the cake and if it comes out clean, your cake is ready! Leave to cool in the tin for around an hour.
6. Prick the surface of the cake with a fork. Combine the granulated sugar and juice of two lemons in a jug and evenly spread across the top of the cake and allow to set.
7. Once set, remove from the tin and serve with a nice mug of tea. The cake should last 3-4 days in an airtight container, if you havn't eaten it already that is!