Wednesday, 12 September 2012
Healthy Carrot Cake
The Hairy Bikers recently shed six stone between them and with Christmas approaching many of us are carefully watching our calorie intake. This recipe, courtesy of the bikers, weighs in at only 239 calories per slice without compromising on flavour as well as being one of the moistest cakes that we've ever baked.
3 Medium carrots, peeled and finely grated
100ml Sunflower oil, plus extra for greasing
3 Large eggs
100g Soft light brown sugar
200g Self raising flour
Zest of half a large orange, other half of the zest to be used for decoration
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Half tsp nutmeg, grated
1 and a half tsp baking powder
2 tsp icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 190C.
2. Grease a 20-23cm loose-bottomed cake tin and line with baking parchment or greaseproof paper.
3. In a large bowl, beat the egg's with a whisk and add the oil and sugar, whisk again to combine. Add in the carrot's, flour,orange zest and spices along with the baking powder, fold together gently to keep the air in the cake until there are no streaks of flour left.
4. Place the mixture into the prepared tin and bash on the work surface to knock out any large air pockets. Bake in the centre of the oven for 25-30 minutes until the cake is well risen and a golden brown colour.
5. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack, remove the greaseproof paper and leave to cool for a further 10 minutes. Once completely cooled simply dust with icing sugar and top with the orange zest. The cake will keep for around three days in the fridge, covered.